Monday, November 19, 2012

Milk Paint Projects

As I said in my last post,I bought some Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint. In fact, I bought FOUR containers of Milk Paint: Luckett's Green, Tricycle, Ironstone, and Shutter Gray. So far I've painted two projects. Here's a glimpse:
This dresser is painted with Luckett's Green. I added the bonding agent to the first coat. Even with that it took 3 coats for me to feel like I had an adequate amount of coverage. After that, I used some Miss Mustard Seed's wax and I mixed some dark stain into it to. I had tried to order some of the antiquing wax but everybody seemed to be sold out. I think this mixture did the trick to get the antiqued effect.
I painted this piano bench with ironstone and then scraped. It didn't give quite the "chippy" effect that I was hoping for. Overall, I'm happy with the way these first two milk paint projects turned out. The thing I've noticed about this paint is that it's unpredictable. It's more work than using the chalk paint that I'm used to. I have a lot more of the paint left so I guess that means I'll be experimenting some more with this stuff. Stay tuned. These two pieces are for sale in my booth at Vintage Market in Kansas City, MO. Here's a picture of the pieces in the booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment