Whisper

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Being Resourceful

Recently, at a garage sale, I spied a white shabby table far back on the edge of the driveway at the sale. I had to ask the owner if the table was for sale as there were many sale items sitting on it. He told me, "yes." So of course, I asked, "how much." I was surprised when he said, "$1." I took it of course!

When I got the table home, I thought that it would be a nice size for a little picnic if the table had some benches to go with it. So, being resourceful, I decided to build a couple of benches. Had I EVER built benches before???? Nope. But I had been looking at some Ana White building plans, and I did know how to use a saw, a drill, and a hammer. Obviously, I could pull off some simple benches.... or at least I was hoping that I could. After writing down some directions off Ana's web site (our printer isn't compatible with my new computer - yep, another story), I took a trip to the local lumber yard, where I bought the boards for 2 benches and some extra boards just in case I happened to ruin a few.

Here's the result:

I was pretty pleased with the first bench, but I could see that this bench was too large for the small table. So I changed some dimensions and built two more benches. Here they are:

I decided the benches needed to be stained, then painted, then distressed. Well, I couldn't get the white ones as distressed as the table as you'll see in the picture. But I LOVE the look of the worn table so I'm not changing that.

I've decided that building stuff is a lot of fun and that I'd really like to do some more building.... I have another project in mind already. You'll just have to wait and see if I get it done. I'll post pictures if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment