Whisper

Monday, July 9, 2012

One Small Accomplishment

Well, I've spent hours getting one landscape bed back into shape. I had let this bed go too long without mulch and it was a weedy mess. I used old cardboard boxes, cut open to a single layer for the weed mat and then put the mulch on top of that. I think this is a good utilization for the cardboard and since cardboard is biodegradable it will eventually decompose and put it's nutrients into the soil. I've done this before and it really does make a nice weed barrier and lasts for several years. The plants in the area seem to do well too. Here are a few pictures for you. This bed is WAY in the back of the yard; it's really a separating feature for the yard as it meets the field behind the house. A dear neighbor tilled this for me earlier this year and let me transplant all those big chunks of ornamental grasses from her yard to this bed. Horray for nice neighbors.
Well, I hope this keeps those weeds in check for quite a while as this was a LOT of work. I wish I could say that this is the only bed that needs this treatment, but unfortunately there are plenty of others. Oh, the rain started again so I'm now back inside. Think I'll experiment with some paint colors for an upstairs bedroom. How are you spending your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment